Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Hippo Gnu Deer

Even though it's horribly old-fashioned of me, I did make a New Year's resolution this year: Sing more.

I mean that both literally and figuratively. I'm actually a fairly terrible singer, but there's something very cathartic about belting out a Stan Rogers song or two. It's a good stress reliever for me. Singing makes me happy just by doing it.

Anyone else doing this tradition? I'd make a writing resolution, but I'm afraid I'd break it... and I have a book due at the end of March. *gulp*

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I'm going in for it, but I'm trying to make my resolutions a bit more practical this year than in years past. I've only got two resolutions. Broadly:

1. Write more consistently.
2. Get in shape.

Ah, number two, the perennial favorite. Well, this year, I'm going to be tracking it. I have several specific, measurable goals that I'm aiming for. Lose ten pounds, lose the love handles, and get back the muscular definition (abs, pecs, shoulders) that I used to have. I've put together a tracking chart for how often I exercise and what specifically I do each session (20 situps, 15 pushups, ran two miles, etc.)

As far as writing goes, the goal is to write an average of 8-10 hours each week, which is also a range, therefore flexible. I've started keeping a ledger of expenses (hours worked, money spent) for my writing, which will allow me to track not only my total hours worked per week, but also my hours per project, money expended and received (see, I'm hopeful!), etc.

I'm not going to make an "every day" resolution, because it's not realistic and it gives your brain too many outs. At somepoint, life is going to intervene and make it difficult/impossible to attend that resolution. And my brain is lazy. Any option not to get up and get moving, it will seize upon and fiercely defend.

Thus ends the rant.