Friday, November 17, 2006

Career Mistakes

I’ve made a few, but I just want to talk about my most recent one. So, several years ago, I did something I very rarely do, that is: I wrote to market. An anthology was looking for Biblical horror stories and I felt keenly inspired. I ended up writing a story called “Jawbone of an Ass” about Sampson’s first wife (no, not Delilah, the one who doesn’t get a name). At any rate, it was a story I was really proud of, but perhaps because the Biblical reference was so obscure (or it just didn’t suit their needs, etc.), the anthology didn’t buy it.

I tried all sorts of SF/F/H markets after that, all of which found it unsuitable.

So, when my writers group, this one, wanted story from me for the New Wyrd anthology, I figured “Jawbone” would be perfect. After all, who on earth would ever be looking for a story like that again?

Guess what I found while reading through Gila Queen’s Guide to Markets today?

“Holy Horrors, Editors T.M. Wright and Matt Cardin. General requirements: Anything that spins, gestates, evolves, devolves, erupts, or otherwise spectacularly evil, disturbing, supernatural, horrific, weird, insane, or other grotesque way religion.”


They pay 5 cents/word for original work 2.5/word for reprints.

I sent them “Jawbone” with an note explaining that it had seen print before, and, you know, it might not be horrific enough for them, anyway, but I kept kicking myself thinking “Aw, man! If only!” It’s not the end of the world (in fact, if they do buy it, it’s still money I could be paid for writing), but I do wish that I would have found out about this anthology earlier.

So, what’s the stupidest thing you’ve ever done with a story?

3 comments:

Kelly McCullough said...

I decided to become a writer.

Erik Buchanan said...

I decided to become an actor, and support myself by being a writer.

Kelly McCullough said...

Erik-Ooh, good one. I quit being an actor to become a writer.