Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Conventional Thinking

Well, it's halfway through November, and I've started thinking about next year's Cons already. In case you don't have easy access to them or know about them already, I'll quote Kelly's earlier post on some of our great local cons:

...the numerous Twin Cities science fiction conventions, of which MarsCon, MiniCon, Convergence, and Diversicon are the largest. I'd also add that WisCon in Madison is one of the best cons in the midwest if you're interested in writing.


I just called the Concourse Hotel in Madison to make reservations for Doug and I for WisCon, and found out that the Governor's Club rooms that were blocked out for the convention are already full--but there are G.C. rooms available, only at 150% of the price! (I can already hear Kelly noting that this is why they make their reservations before leaving the previous year. Wish I had, is all I can say.) Step Two: I emailed WisCon Logistics to ask them if it would be possible for them to expand their room block in the G.C., since clearly there are people who want to attend the con and who want to stay in the G.C. We'll see what I hear back from them.

Anyway, what with the costs of attending the various conventions, I usually like to take a look at them in advance and kind of plan out how I'm going to attend or be involved with them. Anybody else thinking cons already? (I know Eleanor is at least thinking about Marscon!) What are your favorites of the local cons?

2 comments:

Kelly McCullough said...

As usual, the only cons I've done any preparations for so far are the ones that absolutely require advance planning like WisCon and Nasfic. The others will start appearing on my radar in January.

~ Mari said...

Jason Sizemore, Apex BigBorg editor, is planning to attend WisCon next year. He'll also be at ChattaCon, HyperiCon, and Conglomeration. If I can swing it, I'll be returning to HyperiCon with him in Nashville in June...:keeps fingers crossed: