Monday, January 26, 2009

LJ Meme

So, I picked this up from michaeldthomas and thought it would fun to answer. I'm not sure I'm up to asking questions at the moment, but here are my responses.


1 - How did you get involved with Renaissance Faires?

It was a girl...it always is, isn't it. My friend Dayna, who had already gotten me involved with SCA said, "Hey let's go try out for the Ren Fest." Being in theater and having a bit of a thing for Dayna. I said, "Sure." She stayed 1 year. I stayed 8 and ended up doing a little bit of circuit riding. We fell out of touch not long after she quit. Life is funny that way.

2 - As a Writers of the Future winner, are you ever bothered when people criticize the contest because of its Scientology connections?

Not at all. I think that as a contest for new writers it's a great thing, and that they do a very good job of keeping the contest separate from the C of S, and that's as it should be. WotF treated me very well but I'm not a big fan of the
C of S.

3 - Do you miss acting?

That's a tough call. Most of the time not at all. But every once in a while I find myself thinking of how much joy there is to be had in a good show. About ten seconds later I generally remember all of the reasons I quit and the nostalgia ends. The joy-to-poison ratio just doesn't work for me.

4 - What's your favorite non-genre book?

Very tough question, and tougher because you didn't specify fiction. Probably "Adventures in the Screen Trade" by Goldman. But ask on a different day and you might get Diamond's "Guns, Germs, and Steel," or McCullough's "First Man in Rome," or Stephenson's "Zodiac."

5 - How prepared are you for the zombie apocalypse?

As ready as I'm going to get. My misspent youth probably prepped me better than most in terms of mad survival skillz, but at the same time, I'm a big fan of civilization. There's nothing like having spent multi-month stretches living in a tent to make you really appreciate light-switches and flush toilets. And I'd probably wither away completely after two weeks away from my laptop at this point.

No comments: