Sunday, February 11, 2007

The Other Side of the Coin

The new year, the season of best of lists; SF Site, [link]; and February issue of Locus has the editors' and reviewers' 2006 recommended reading list.

Of the novels on the Locus list, I've read only two.

The first: Paul Park's The Tourmaline, the second volume in his excellent luminous Roumania Quartet, which began with A Princess of Roumania, and the third book, The White Tyger, is out and I'm tearing through it eagerly. But how long to wait for the concluder, The Hidden World?

And the second: I've been with great slowness, one section each night, to savor the richness and virtuosity but also insulate myself against the oppressive grimness, I've been reading McCarthy's The Road. Not ideal bedtime reading, folks. I recommend Goodnight, Gorilla.

Other than that, Wolfe’s Soldier of Sidon languishes unpurchased on my Amazon wish list; and other novels on the list I've flirted with on the shelves but haven't come home with me from Dreamhaven yet are M. John Harrison's Nova Swing, Ellen Kushner' sThe Privilege of the Sword, and Holly Phillips's The Burning Girl.

Some of those books from the SF Site list: the Tiptree biography, what else?

So. What books on this list have you read? Failing that, what was the best book, or your favorite book, you read all year last year? What book are you just dying to read next?

No comments: