Friday, September 07, 2007

Miss Snark's Greatest Hits (vol 43-the end)

This is the last batch. Sometime in the next couple of weeks I'll put them all in a single post sorted by topic and then link to it from the front page.

Never try to sell an agent on an unfinished novel. It wastes both of your times and isn't going to win you any points.

Notes on screenplay stuff. High among them, don't get anywhere near Hollywood without an agent. It a shark tank. I agree.

Agency contracts. Read them. Understand them. Don't sign them before you've done this. Can you get it changed? Maybe, the chances are not great, though I did get a clause inserted into the contract with my old agent.

Forever stamps. Seems like a fabulous idea. I know nothing about them, but if I were doing the query dance I'd definitely be looking into them.

Publishing houses and their divisions and policies: A house of mirrors or just a maze. Maybe both.

Your brand new agent and your backlist. This is how Miss Snark deals with them. Other agents will have different takes. Mine is perfectly fine with shopping multiple books of mine to various editors at the same time.

Email. It doesn't always arrive at the end looking like it look when you sent it. Be aware of this. Make arrangements.

The purpose of the synopsis. Have I mentioned how much I hate writing these? They suck.

Does the person who tells you subject-x will never sell have any real expertise in the area? If they're not an agent or editor chances are good they don't know as much as they think they do.

"Creative" queries. Really really bad idea.

No comments: