Saturday, December 01, 2007

YA Market

This from BroadUniverse:

Last year, Zumaya Publications launched three new genre imprints to keep company with our SF/F line, Zumaya Otherworlds. Next summer, we'll be adding another--a YA/middle reader line called Zumaya Thresholds. I have three titles prepared for the launch of Thresholds and another dozen or so in the submissions queue, but I'm insecure when I don't have something in the production queue at least a year and preferably two years ahead so I can adequately plan marketing. Sadly, to date my experience has been that really good YA/middle grade work is rather thin on the ground.

So, I'm announcing that I am specifically seeking novels in all genres suitable for young people ages 8 and up. These should be chapter books NOT picture books, and a minimum length of 30K words is preferred. I'm particularly interested in mysteries and SF/F, but coming-of-age and literary are also welcome. Just be aware that, as several people here can tell you, I'm extremely fussy. ;-) I'm not interested in Harry Potter clones or standard rehashes of overused plots such as lost magic-wielding princesses. The key words are "unique" and "original."

Submission guidelines are on our website; please read and follow them carefully, as doing so saves me much work and saving me work tends to make me easier to get along with.

Liz Elizabeth Burton, Executive Editor
Zumaya Publications LLC
Opening Doors to the Creative Mind
http://www.zumayapublications.com

1 comment:

Kelly Swails said...

Thanks for posting, Lyda.