Thursday, January 10, 2008

A Writer's Subconscious

Over at Fangs, Fur & Fey, they're doing a meme asking writers to list the answer to "Top Ten Signs This Book Was Written By Me." I think this is interesting because what it gets at are a writer's subconscious themes. So, here are mine (as Lyda. I plan to answer this as Tate over there.)

1. One or more of the characters' religious views are essential to the plotline.

2. There is at least one reference (usually an obscure joke) regarding Unitarian Universalism.

3. One of the secondary characters is gay, lesbian or transgendered. Often this isn't obvious to the casual observer, but there will be "hints" to queer readers, as in a reference to sensible shoes, etc.

4. The fashions are dubiously 80s-inspired. (I wish I could get away from this, but apparently, my brain imprinted on 80s fashion and I can't quite shake it.)

5. Somewhere in the background there are cyborgs, mutants, junkies and/or prostitutes.

6. At some point in the novel, someone speaks a language other than English (usually one requiring transliteration).

7. Someone will be a fan of country western music.

8. Coffee will be drunk by almost every character, and nearly all of them will take it black. Similarly, hardly anyone will eat.

9. At a critical moment, someone will offer this plan, "I know: I'll distract them, while you rush them."

10. Geek culture will insert itself at some point. Someone will make a gaming, comic book, Star Wars, or other SF pop culture reference.


So that's me. Do you have any unconscious themes in your work (embarrassing or otherwise) that you'd like to share?

4 comments:

Erik Buchanan said...

Not sure if I can come up with 10. Let me see...

1. Intelligence. I hate reading about about stupid people so I don't tend to write about them.

2. Food. I love food and it shows up in my writing. Mmmm. Hungry now.

3. Smart-ass remarks. Someone's got to point out when people are being stupid, or cut them down when they get above themselves. Or just for fun.

4. Violence in the resolution of conflict. Not necessary in life, but one of my habits in writing fantasy. Hmmm. Wonder why?

That's what I've got for now.

Kelly Swails said...

I've only got a few, seeing as how I've only written four books (and three of those had the same characters, so that counts as one, for this purpose).

1. There are two friends that are snarky to each other. These are usually the friends that would die for each other.

2. There's universal teen angst themes like belonging while at the same time becoming your own person.

3. Sexual relations are exciting and thrilling and guilt-free.

4. The women are strong and the men like them that way.

... and that's all I got. This is sort of hard to do.

Theo Nicole Lorenz said...

Between the two books I've worked on and three I've got in planning phases...

1. Paranormal powers and/or monsters amidst the main cast!

2. Everyone has a hidden talent.

3. The previous generation(s) failed in some important way.

4. At least one of the main characters hoards his/her secrets like they were Pokemon.

5. There's at least one explicitly gay character, and usually lots of subtext, too.

6. The Big Bad isn't actually evil, just a bully.

7. Fist fights! I love it when characters punch each other, so mine seem to do it a lot, especially at emotional turning points.

8. Friends become substitute family for my main characters.

9. Winter is described in great detail. Why's it always so damn cold? (Native Minnesotan here.)

10. A main character has insomnia.

lydamorehouse said...

These are cool! Thanks for sharing them!