Thursday, February 12, 2009

When a Novel Falls Short

I realized yesterday as I was doing some revisions for HONEYMOON OF THE DEAD that I'm really only a couple of scenes away from the structural end of the novel. Even if those scenes somehow turn out to be several pages each, I'm going to fall WAY short of the proposed word count for this novel (like by 20,000 words.)

For once in my life, I've decided not to worry about it too much. My thought is that I've been writing this novel so fast that there are bound to be places that need fleshing out once I've let readers take a look at it. Usually, by this time, Wyrdsmiths has been following along making suggestions that add depth and whatnot, and I've been completely bereft of their input.

It's still a very eerie feeling, though, being this close to "THE END" and knowing that the book is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too short.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've often found that when I think I'm nearing the end, there's always a little more than I expected that needs to get put in place.