Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Smart Things

Continued very light blogging from me for at least another week or two. In the interim I've been reading other folks saying interesting things. A sampling:

Big discussion on Jay Lake's blogs about the Kindle: Part 1a and 1b and 2.

Lilith Saintcrow. The Hack Manifesto. As another "hack," this one warms my heart. Genre and Compression in which she discusses the idea of genre and the problems some have with as well as the internal pressure one feels to dive deep into a work, especially when it's new and shiny. You need more than a good book to make it in this business. Friday five, the physical act of writing, story as arc and three more nice bits, though I'm not sure I agree with 3.

Justine Larbalestier on aspiring writers asking the wrong questions, I'm not entirely in agreement with this one or the post it riffs off if, but it's still a smart piece of work.

1 comment:

Kelly Swails said...

Thanks for the hack manifesto linky, Y. Good stuff there.