Thursday, September 03, 2009

Readings

I did a bookstore reading here in small town Wisconsin a week or two ago. 10-12 people showed up and listened to me read a chunk of a new book that I'm hoping will be the next series from Ace. I sold a half dozen books. At my level on the publishing feeding chain that's actually really good for the venue and wouldn't be bad for any non-science fiction bookstore or anywhere outside of a major metro area. I made about six dollars and it would have been less if the book store hadn't run out of one my books forcing me to sell a couple directly.

So, why do it?

It was fun. I like sharing my stuff with people and that rapport you get with the audience when you really hit your stride on a strong piece of writing is a ball. One of the big joys with reading new stuff is that if it goes well it really reignites your excitement about the work. That's great, especially when you're in the waiting window with your publisher as I am right now. Waiting to hear if my editor likes the last book and what changes she might want. Waiting to hear if she likes the new series. Waiting to hear from a half dozen other editors to see what they think of the books they've got. Waiting, waiting, waiting...argh.

As I write this I'm sitting on my front porch surrounded by a sea of fog. Wow, a real life metaphor. I'm...thrilled.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ahhh. I miss the fog. I used to live on the coast and it was so beautiful.

I write non-fiction and I've never done a book reading. It's nice to read about how other authors publicize their books.