Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Smart Things and General Updatery

I'm trying to get caught up on 2 weeks of being disconnected whilst in Scotland. I need to do some blogging on that and other things but that's going to have to wait until the book is back to my editor. Did I mention that I got my revision letter the day I got home. Fortunately, while it's not quite the "I'm going to send this straight on to the copyeditor" that I go on the last two, it's only something between 1-7 hours of work total. So yay on that. Anyway, back to catching up which means clearing out piles of accumulated smart things.

The ever entertaining and often wise Jim Hines on Writer Envy.

Jeff Hecht on the Google settlement, or my book belongs to me, not Google.

John Howell on why science fiction authors can't win with the literary world.

Because it's cool, a Tardis cake.

Agent Kristin Nelson writing a series of posts on understanding royalty statements. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5.

2 comments:

tate hallaway said...

7 hours of work only? You're lucky, I'd say. I'm working on revisions too, but since I didn't know this would be the last Garnet book the whole thing is changing... I'm going to at this for a week. (whine!)

Douglas Hulick said...

Some of the comments on Kristin's posts (especially the first one) are very illuminating as well. If you want to get an even better idea of why the publishing houses do royalty schedules and statements like they do, read the comments.