Friday, June 03, 2011

R.I.P. Joel Rosenburg

via Peg Kerr's LJ and his own website:

"On Wednesday afternoon, June 1, 2011, Joel had a respiratory depression that caused a heart attack, anoxic brain damage and major organ failure. Despite the very best efforts of the paramedics and the team at Hennepin County Medical Center, Joel was pronounced brain dead at around 5:37pm Thursday June 2nd, In accordance with his wishes, he shared the gift of life through organ and tissue donation.

He is survived by his daughters, Judith Eleanor and Rachel Hannah, and his wife, Felicia Herman. Today, June 3rd would have been his 32nd wedding anniversary."

1 comment:

tate hallaway said...

I was never a fan of Joel's, though I shared a signing at Uncles with him once, and, of course, knew him tangentally through Minnesota fandom. We didn't share political views in the least, and, in point of fact, I used to love to tell the story of the time I was fairly certain Joel was going to shoot me (he was known for being a big proponent of "conceal and carry") on a panel about science fiction and 9/11 when I started to talk about my take on Israel. God Herself intervened on my behalf, however, when Joel got a phone call and was forced to leave the panel. I liked to say that I was "saved by the bell."

All that aside, I hope that you rest in peace, Joel Rosenburg.

Given everything that's been going on with my family, I feel especially keenly for Joel's family and survivors. I'm quite haunted by that phrase "major organ failure," because that's been part of what my own father is currently recovering from.