Thursday, December 27, 2012

Memory Lane

I had a great time this morning answering questions for a Spanish reviewer about Archangel Protocol (e-book!).  He reminded me how much I loved cyberpunk as a genre. 

During the late-80s and early-90s, I was a huge cyberpunk fan.  I read pretty much everything I could find that fit the genre, though I'm sure I still missed plenty of the classics.  Though it's funny how quickly "the Movement" died out, even though I can't imagine a time when its themes and tropes are, in many ways, still very relevant.  Even so, I remember sitting listening to a panel at a Boston WorldCon, maybe (or Baltimore?), in the early part of my career, when I was still writing in the AngeLINK series in the mid-90s, listening to the panelists explain that cyberpunk was long dead.  I feel like I might even have been sitting next to Melissa Scott (who'd written TROUBLE AND HER FRIENDS right about the same time), but that might just be wishful remembering.

At any rate, I kind of miss cyberpunk.

I miss the hackers and the punks and the edgy worlds full of drugs and implants and bioware.  I miss the cool, sarcastic hero/heroines and the funky lingo. 

Anyone else up for revisiting it?  Shall we start a second Movement or perhaps... a revolution?  If nothing else, I might have to go and try rereading some of my collection.  I wonder how DINER AT THE DEVIANT'S PALACE holds up after all this time....

1 comment:

Jon said...

I was thinking the same thing the other day. I was thinking about picking up old Gibson or maybe Snow Crash. Then I tried to rewatch Strange Days and it was incredible how it seemed like it came from this whole other world. I think eventually Cyberpunk is going to occupy this never-happened alternate turn-of-the-century world, kind of like Steampunk does for the previous century.