Wednesday, February 14, 2007

DreamHaven Books-Go Buy Something

DreamHaven is a fantastic independent bookstore in Minneapolis. Along with Uncle Hugo's they're a very important part of why the Twin Cities is such a wonderful place to be an F&SF writer or fan.

Turns out that Dreamhaven had a break-in on Saturday night that did considerable damage to the store. Its been a rough time for independent bookstores of late, and the break-in doesn't help. So, please, if you've been thinking about buying an F&SF book, or a comic book lately, go see if they've got it at DreamHaven, either in person, or online. Actually, they've got loads more than books and comics and they've got gaming stuff as well. Go have a look, really.

DreamHaven has been very good to the Wyrdsmiths. It's where I had my first ever reading back in 1999 along with Naomi Kritzer, and I've had a number of readings and signings there in the years since as have several of our other members, and quite a few good friends who are also in the writing business.

The world of books and publishing has lost too many treasures in the last few years. We don't want DreamHaven to be another one of them.

Thanks to our own Douglas Hulick for picking this up from Neil Gaiman.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm not in any way suggesting that we shouldn't support Dreamhaven, now or ever, but I would like to note that they likely have business insurance against break-in, theft, and vandalism. There may be books destroyed or stolen that cannot be replaced, to be sure, but it seems unlikely that this would put them out of business.

That said, I've got about six books on a wait list that I may call Elizabeth about.

Kelly McCullough said...

Actually, they do have business insurance, but they're also in the midst of a lean time. If you follow the link to Neil's blog you will discover that the break-in combined with other aggravating factors has them stretched very tight. As with most independant bookstores, the business climate of the last few years has not been kind to them.

Anonymous said...

Thank you--and no, I hadn't followed the link through to Neil's blog. I'll ask Elizabeth if I should just swing by or if ordering online is better.

Douglas Hulick said...

Thanks for posting this here, Kelly. I must have been brain damaged to not cross-post it in the first place.

Oh, wait - I'm a parent AND a writer. Of course I'm brain damaged!