Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Fantasy Noir

Thanks to Elizabeth Bear for the link on to this discussion of urban fantasy which makes several excellent and very telling points about the nature of how we write about fantasy in the modern world. I'd like to hear what our folks think about it, in general, since at least half of the Wyrdsmiths have written/are writing pieces--and several of us, books--set in an urban fantasy/modern fantasy setting. And Tate, anything that you may have posted over on Fur, Fangs, and Fey could probably be repeated here, too.

I know I agree with quite a bit of what Holly has to say, but I'm open to hear how you all see the collision and juxtaposition of modern ideas and perceptions with fantastical elements, and your reasoning about what we are implying about "normalcy" when we effectively glorify the fringe--or if you completely disagree with that take, why?

2 comments:

tate hallaway said...

Though I read Holly Black’s post when it first came around to FFF, I haven’t posted anything there because all these people are much more articulate than I am.

Plus, I’m honestly not sure what the argument is about. Are they just now discovering that Urban Fantasy takes place on the fringes of society? And so what if it does? I guess I always figured that was part of its appeal. Garnet has a job, but she's a witch. Outsiders with insider information --- that's the formula for a urban fantasy hero/ine as far as I can tell.

Anyway, WTF? Normal is boring. Nobody writes anything that glorifies normal as far as I can tell, outside of mainstream liteary types (oooh! Look at my navel!) How many soccer moms go into deep space either? (I can only think of one who fights demons -- CARPE DEMON).

Kelly McCullough said...

I'm not sure I see the point of the argument either. I've written 8 contemporary or near contemporary fantasy novels. Only a tiny fraction of characters in them are street people and those almost all in one world in one novel. Are most of the important characters outsiders anyway? Pretty much, in one way or another. So are most of the protagonists in the vast majority of the F&SF that I've read and enjoyed.

By and large F&SF is the fiction of the outsider and that's true well beyond the boundaries of urban and contemporary fantasy. In fact, it's kind of the point. You can't save the universe if you're a dominant member of the dominant culture that the universe needs saving from, not without becoming an outsider in opposition to that culture. Even characters like Aragorn and Arthur (once and future kings) are outsiders before they become insiders.

Are there exceptions? Of course. Is outsider fiction bad? I certainly don't think so. Do I like asking rhetorical questions and then answering them myself? Maybe.