Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Pixelations

So this started as an internal response to Sean, but got too long.

Let's see, a couple of things here.

Rights: I'm currently thinking that rather than a creative commons license I'll just go with a basic copyright statement ala the kind that Strange Horizons uses or perhaps a slightly stronger version of the sort used by Cosmic SF (more on both below).

Hosting: I personally am going to put my stories The Uncola and When Jabberwocks Attack up at kellymccullough.com in html form for ease of reading and because the site is owned by me (rather than say, blogspot).

Links: I will intially put up a post here linking to Jo Walton's page for this exercise. Once everyone's checked in at Jo's site, I'm guessing that some enterprising techie type will compile a list of all the links, possibly organized by SFWA/nonSFWA or Pro/Semi-Pro/Amateur. Once that happens, I'll either link to that page or post the links here either front paged or in commments to the original post (how exactly that works depends on lots of factors).

Gaydar: Since this would be a pre-pub publication I'd check with my editor on that one. While I've seen your contract and I'm pretty certain that you have the right to sell or post the story pretty much wherever whenever, it's always a good idea to discuss such things with those who have a stake in the process in advance.

Copyright Notices:

Strange Horizons' looks like this: "All material in Strange Horizons is copyrighted to the original authors and may not be reproduced without permission."

Which could be amended for our purposes to something like:

All material is copyrighted to (your name here) and may not be reproduced without permission.

Cosmic SF's is similar though a little wordier saying something about not being reprinted or reproduced in any manner without the permission of the editor (or in this case the author).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

First, thank you to all of you fine protective folks who privately jumped down my throat in order to stop the words from coming out of my mouth. I appreciate your concern on my behalf with regard to the sale of "Gaydar".

In fact, I've emailed my editor to find out how she feels about me posting it. If she's got a big issue with it, I won't post that story. I'll post "Cloverleaf One" and "Maelstrom" instead, which I may do anyway.