Saturday, August 25, 2007

Miss Snark's Greatest Hits (vol 37)

I'm getting close to the end of the process with these, maybe a week or two left.

A fascinating post on reading royalty statements, and services that can help authors with making sense of them. And, more on royalties , like what to do when they go missing.

What to do when you go to the bookstore and discover that someone's already written your book. Hint, the answer isn't throw it away and start over.

Great stuff on how much plot to include in a query and how that differs from what you include in a synopsis.

Personalizing a query letter. Do you really need to do more than make sure it's got the right name and address and the like? Mostly no.

Three chapters really means three chapters, apparently regardless of length. No sure how I feel about this one-the 77 pages referenced is that far from the 50 that I often hear as 3 chapters standard. I do wonder if the answer would have been different if three chapters meant 15 pages or 150.

Another listing of stupid query mistakes. I find these fascinating, in part because I can't imagine who someone thought that most of them were a good idea.

No comments: