Sunday, April 06, 2008

More on Fantasy and Science Fiction

I should add that I often write stories that sit the border between science fiction and fantasy. My Big Mama stories are designed to be fantastical tall tales, which draw on a fair amount of science. When I wrote the first one,I was wondering, "What would the folk tales of the future be like?"

The last story I finished -- finished today, though I need to do more work on the ending -- is about trolls and the huge hydroelectric project currently being built in eastern Iceland. The trolls are pretty much traditional folk tale trolls; and the project is quite amazing and absolutely true.

I like fantastic stories that are grounded in reality in some way, at least that's what I like to write.

The problem with much fantasy -- the stuff I call generic -- is, it has drifted too far from traditional fantasy, folk tale and myth; and it has drifted too far from reality. It feeds on itself, rather than on reality or myth or dream.

I think I know what I'm saying.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

When I reflect on my stories, I'm surprised at how many drift a bit into fantasy. I like realistic stories that have just a touch of fantasy, just a suggestion of a bigger alternate world. I guess that's why I like reading magical realism too.

tate hallaway said...

There's certainly been a big explosion of urban fantasy which doesn't have to fall into the "ubiquitous fantasy setting" universe, but still often choses places that are very familiar to the reader, i.e., New York and New Orleans, etc.

Those stories are often far away from the classic folk tales, too.

Paul Weimer said...

And Urban Fantasy is even more "accessible" to casual readers than regular fantasy is, as compared to SF.

Less effort on the readerin understanding a new world.