Friday, May 02, 2008

One Star: Tall, Dark & Dead

Tall, Dark & Dead got several one star reviews, but this one is probably the "best." It's actually much longer than this, but these are the "money" quotes. Enjoy!

I can honestly say that I haven't read a more irritating book in a long time. I won't bore you with another synopsis, but I must tell you that even though I'm not a Catholic, I found the whole 'Vatican witch-killer" premise offensive on so many levels.

Regarding the hero... I like my heros to be of the alpha variety. I like them to be dark and fighting some inner demons. I like them to walk the border between good and evil. Unfortunately, this guy just left a bad taste in my mouth. He was ethically questionable, not terribly sympathetic, and... well... if I met him in real life, my instincts would have been to slug him. And then run like heck. And not in a good way.

And the heroine? Well, let's just say I like my heroines with a little more brains and self-respect. I don't want them to convince themselves that just because the sex is great, it must be love. I don't like it when they overlook MAJOR problems in their hero's character just because he's good looking.

No comments: