Saturday, November 22, 2008

Smart Things--Story

Nancy Pickard is saying smart things about story and contrast in reference to a photo of AndiF's that she put up. It made me think, which I find to be tremendous fun.

My response is below, but go read the original first.

I've decided that stills don't make a great metaphor for the way I think about story, not as dynamic through time as I'd like. I tend to want to start the reader out in a tattered fog, with sharp sudden moments of clarity that slowly form the picture around them until they think they've got it all nailed down. Then, the last few scenes blow the fog away and reveal a picture that has all the elements they've seen but slightly rearranged so that it is both not really what they expected at all and exactly as it should be. That's the plan at least.

No comments: